Problems or dysfunction in esophageal sphincter valve at a connection point between the esophagus with the stomach can cause gastroesophageal reflux or familiar with the name “gastric reflux” or “acid reflux” or also known as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Esophageal sphincter valve prevents the acid or contents in the stomach heading to the top or to the esophagus. In people who have gastroesophageal reflux or acid reflux, this sphincter open or dysfunction when stomach pressure increases so that the liquid or sometimes including the other contents of the stomach can go up into the esophagus, so that people can feel the acid taste in their mouth.
Some symptoms that may be experienced by people who get gastroesophageal reflux such as:
- Heartburn is usually felt more intense after eating activity.
- Hoarseness is also commonly experienced.
- Felt a strange sensation that a foreign body stuck in the esophagus.
- They have difficulties experience when trying to swallow food.
- Commonly accompanied by a dry cough and shortness of breath, usually this is happening for a long time and can be mistaken as asthmatics.
- People felt pain in the chest that is usually felt in the sternum area, people feel like hit by heart attack, angina pectoris.
In the case of long and left without treatment on complications of GERD can give the appearance of ulcers in the esophagus of patients due to gastric acid damage esophagus epithelium of patients, gastrointestinal bleeding may occur which cause the blood regurgitate GERD sufferers sometimes more red-black (darker) because of blood mixed with stomach acid or are dark-colored blood in stool while doing the defecation, and a rare complication is of esophageal cancer.
To avoid GERD should not happen to you or know anything what is good to do for you do when get symptoms of GERD, it helps if you do a medical consultation, besides that we will try to give you some tips related to GERD in other posts.